How Speech-Language Pathologists can Help
- There are 148 clinical recommendations for cognitive-communication intervention supported by years of evidence. These recommendations and the evidence that supports them are summarized in the CCEAS-Map. It was first published in this article by MacDonald & Shumway, 2022. Access the CCEAS-Map here.
How to Assist People with Cognitive and Communication Difficulties
Evidence for Cognitive-Communication Intervention
- SLP in Concussion and Mild Brain Injury Position Statement
- MacDonald, Sheila, (2017) Introducing the model of cognitive-communication competence: A model to guide evidence-based communication interventions after brain injury. Brain Injury 31 (13-14) 1760-1780. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699052.2017.1379613
MacDonald, S., & Wiseman-Hakes, C. (2010). Knowledge translation in ABI rehabilitation: A model for consolidating and applying the evidence for cognitive-communication interventions. Brain Injury : [BI], 24(3), 486–508
Ponsford, J., Bayley, M., Wiseman-Hakes, C., Togher, L., Velikonja, D., & McIntyre, A, Janzen, S., & Tate, R. (2014) INCOG Recommendations for management of cognition following traumatic brain injury, Part II: Attention and Information Processing Speed. Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation 29(4) 321-337.
Tate, R., Ponsford, J., Kennedy, M., Douglas, J.,Velikonja, D., & Bayley, M.& Stergiou-Kita M. (2014) INCOG Recommendations for management of cognition following traumatic brain injury, Part III: Executive Function and Self Awarness. Jounal of head trauma rehabilitation 29(4) 338-352.
Togher, L., Wiseman-Hakes, C., Douglas, J., Stergiou-Kita, M., Ponsford, J., Teasell, R., … Turkstra, L. S. (2014). INCOG Recommendations for Management of Cognition Following Traumatic Brain Injury, Part IV: Cognitive Communication. The Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 29(4), 353–68.
Academy of Neurologic Communication Disorders and Sciences (ANCDS)
Evidence-Based Review of Moderate to Severe Acquired Brain Injury (ABIEBR)
Brain Injury Awareness & Prevention
- Ontario Brain Injury Association http://obia.ca/
- Acquired Brain Injury Survivor Solutions https://www.abiss.ca/
- Video – Brain Injury, Auto Insurance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwuTHXH7Y7M
- ABI Justice https://www.abijustice.org
- Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation https://onf.org
- Video for Stroke/brain injury awareness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4_0Xd7HNoM
- Video Brain Injury & Justice System https://twitter.com/LynTurkstra/status/1357046985807831045?s=20
Sheila’s Courses, Presentations and Workshops 2021
SLP Course Virtual: Announcing the CCCABI Course!!!
I am pleased to introduce the Cognitive-Communication Course for Acquired Brain Injury, the CCCABI Course!! This is a comprehensive, online ABI clinical course for speech-language pathologists.
Here are the key features of the CCCABI Course:
- 12 Modules tailored to SLP clinical practice across the rehabilitation continuum from coma to community, college, and career.
- Integration of SLP research evidence, clinical experience & stories of those with lived experience of brain injury.
- Modules include video lectures, clinical illustrations, evidence synthesis & application, assessment and treatment techniques, practical strategies, clinical tools, slides, references, and a self-assessment guide
- A certificate of completion at the end of each module.
The CCCABI course translates ABI evidence relevant to SLP, celebrates the leaders in our field, provides a shared framework to consolidate learning, and creates a centralized resource that you can apply clinically for years to come!! Let’s continue to build our community of practice and our expertise for the benefit of those we serve!!
To access the course, follow this link: https://courses.brainandcommunication.ca
SLP CCD 1 and CCD 2 Virtual
In 2020 we piloted virtual synchronous or “live” versions of CCD 1 (hosted by Sheila MacDonald & Associates) & 2 (hosted by OSLA) with great success. If your SLP group would like to arrange a virtual CCD Level 1 or Level 2 course contact me and we can discuss arrangements.
Multidisciplinary Courses and Conferences
- All in person conferences are on hold due to the global pandemic.
- I’ll post any upcoming conferences or workshops here as they are planned.
- Stay tuned for virtual multidisciplinary and general audience courses in development.